Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Remember to Create Audiences

Image source:

Blame it on Big Data. In business we’ve become so concerned with numbers, so enamored with racking up digits, that we’re forgetting how build an audience. It doesn’t matter what business you’re in. So much energy goes into earning traffic that we forget that delivering a terrific experience is what gets people coming back.

In 2002, nearly 1.6 billion movie tickets were sold across the US and Canada. Cinema was winning. But despite population growth, 230 million fewer tickets were sold last year. Movie-goers have been voting with their feet and audiences are shrinking. I love the cinema. But there’s little mystery, sensuality or intimacy, left in the experience anymore. I’d rather watch movies at home.

There was once a time where going to the movies was an event. There was excitement. You’d make a night out of it and people held it with a modicum of respect. And this applies to many businesses. If you keep focusing on only getting new faces through the door – whether it be physical or digital – you may receive traffic, but you may lack an audience. Think about what you’re doing to keep them engaged – those relationships count.


Simon Bell said...

Big data. I understand the value like most but I share your view about building 'human' relationships. In my humble surroundings, compared to my competitors (and especially compared to the offices at Saatchi & Saatchi!), I was able win a project on the spot just this morning mainly because unlike my competitors, I refocused part of the brief on to who would ultimately be dealing with all this big data, which in the end, in this instance was humans. This really struck a cord with my client and gave the required brand creative a whole new angle for my client to work with me on. The bigger data for me is that human emotions, especially empathy, should always come first. The evidence to support this is growing all the time too I think.

Media Messiah said...

Surely this is the way of digital. Rather than being in one place, your audience could be scattered all over the world. And, however large that audience may be, it's never going to feel as impressive as a dedicated group all gathered together at one physical event. The long queue mentioned in another post is a perfect example.