Monday, March 10, 2014

What Matters Most to You, and Why?

It’s a simple question with a complex answer. “What Matters Most to You, and Why?” Stanford Business School has asked this question of aspirants to its MBA program for years as part of its admissions process. Then they follow up with a second essay question: “What do you want to do – REALLY – and why?”

It doesn’t matter if you’re applying to Stanford, the London Business School, or Saatchi & Saatchi. These are questions you want to be able to answer and they’re applicable to every big decision in our lives. Each of us needs to be able to define and communicate our personal purpose and understand who we are so we can get to where we want to be.

I have tried to drill it down to three questions:

1. When am I at my best?
2. What will I never do?
3. What’s my five-year dream?

If you can meditate on these three questions and answer them, you’ll figure out what’s important to you. We can’t expect people to know us and help us on our way if we don’t have a clear idea of what we want for ourselves. We all stand for something. We all have dreams. Acknowledge them and act on them.


Dominique Elliott said...

Great post! I would attend a school just based on its administrators and professors' ability to ask the right questions.

Media Messiah said...

Funnily enough I wrote down where I wanted to be in 5 years' time and then asked myself "How did I get here" and then started tracking back to where I am now to work out the possible routes I might have take, and the likelihood of each route working. Two routes I labelled "possible" and another two routes I labelled "vaguely possible". One of the possible routes just seemed a bit boring, so I ruled it out. I've looked for signs of commonality between the remaining three routes, which I think I've found, or rather I *will* find over the course of the next 5 years!