Recently CareerCast released a list of the worst jobs in the United States in 2013. Since then, Lapham Quarterly released a matrix of the 13 worst jobs of the last 2,000 years. The matrix looks at jobs in regard to how difficult, tedious, disgusting, and treacherous they were/are. Some of the jobs in the list include:
- Banquet Attendant (50AD), responsible for cleaning up guests’ vomit and holding chamber pots for them to urinate into.
- Viking Egg Collector (900AD), responsible for climbing down cliffs to steal eggs from seabirds, using ropes made of stinging nettle.
- Food Tester (1520AD), it’s the gallows for you if a Royal consumed tainted food.
- Leech Gatherer (1835AD).
- Subway Pusher (2010AD), responsible for pushing Toyko’s rush hour subway commuters into packed trains.
- Merchant Banker (2013AD), oops… I made this up…