It’s no quick fix however, but fortunately there are people and organisations out there that are coming up with creative solutions to raise awareness and combat this issue:
- Wine to Water is an organisation set up by former bartender Doc Hendley, encouraging bartenders around the world to pledge 100% their tips from a shifts work to the charity devoted to fighting the epidemic.
- Who Gives a Crap is an Australian social enterprise that donates 50% of the profits from its toilet paper sales to WaterAid, who work improve sanitation in the developing world.
- University of Engineering and Technology created a billboard in Peru that turns humidity into drinkable water.
- I recently mentioned the campaign Farmageddon, which saw online Farmarama farmers help real-life farms through donations to the United Nations FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization).
- F/Nazca Saatchi & Saatchi created this TVC for S.O.S. Mata Atlântica, a Brazilian environmental charity, encouraging people to break the taboo of peeing in the shower to each save over 4000 liters of drinkable water a year.