In an effort to understand what drives today's food culture and get a glimpse of the future of food, gravity – a design and innovation company – conducted a study called 'Food Thinking'. The study found that all food decisions are made between two processes: cooking and shopping, which is where food marketers concentrate their efforts.
Other interesting insights include:
- Food is bling. Cooks become celebrities. Food becomes cult.
- People create 'food rules' for daily food which impact on shopping trends.
- Food is modern-day DIY. Our kitchens represent craftsmanship.
- Food needs simplicity. 1 out of six British women struggle to cook basic dishes.
- Food transparency. We're seeking more information about our food, but do we really want to know where things come from?