Thursday, July 5, 2012

Tomorrow’s CEO

At a time when business re-engineering, restructuring and re-everything only add incremental growth, the traditional MBA is pretty outdated. I’ve been talking for a while about Creative Leadership as the next evolution. You won’t find this in management mantras, case studies or spreadsheets.

The unreasonable power of creativity is the value accelerator. Getting out in front and staying there is about having creative ideas and finding creative solutions. It’s about delivering mind-blowing experiences and heart-lifting change.

‘CEO’ should mean ‘Chief Excitement Officer’, and the need to inspire people and to deliver value creatively is radically altering the job requirements of senior executives. This article from KRConnect reader Becky Celestine on CEOs with liberal arts majors is a reminder of the value of traveling both wide and deep.

The corporate recruitment process is miles behind the curve, and boundary expanders like philosophy, literature, language and theater should be written in, not written off, as credentials for winning in business.

The more angles and edges in your playbook, the more creativity will sing. As Steve Jobs said, creativity is just connecting things.

2 comments:

Deena Syed - Brand Strategist said...

Tell me about it. I have recently stepped into a position of Sales & Marketing executive in a company, I am only 30 and have a masters in innovative technology, I dont know if you remember I sent you that thesis on Psychoanalysis of lovemarks. What I find really hard getting through the management team that is 20 years older than me. I can see things that they are doing wrong and have tried to tell them, but they are just too scared, how boring!!! I tell them only one thing now "do you want to compete or dominate? if you want to dominate I am your man (being a woman)".

They have not fired me yet so I guess they are still intrigued and intrigued by what I can do :) By the way I read your blog everyday and I quote you a lot, so thanks for promoting the rise of the creative people! :) Always irresistible Deena :)

Grant Costello said...

'Mind blowing' might be overdoing it a little, but if you want good energy, passion and commitment, people will always look to the top for their cues in terms of 'how things should be done round here'. Because excitement is contagious and a big driver of action, a lot more excitement coming from the senior level about where the organisation is headed, what it could achieve and what everyones' role is in getting there, could go a long way to delivering better performance.

So working for a organisation whose promise is all about 'Exciting Companies' , it's hard not to agree with you Kevin.