Monday, June 27, 2011

Clarence Clemons: Sax Man

Anyone who has been to a Bruce Springsteen concert – and I count myself lucky several times over – will have been moved to ecstasy by the big fat sound of Clarence Clemons, sideman and saxophonist for the E Street Band. Clarence died on June 18 aged 69 after a stroke. His collaboration with The Boss stretched almost 40 years. His solo on Jungleland has been called “the best sax solo in rock history.” Call it chemistry, call it bromance, it’s clear that that they had a bond that ran deep and strong. The Church of Bruce has lost one of its cardinals.

1 comment:

Elle Fagan said...

I lost my husband to intracranial aneurysm rupture, and learned a lot in my studies later about things like Clarence Clemon's stroke , including the fact that there is a suspicious coincidence of it for wiind instrument players - Quincy Jones is another famous case, but his "bleeds" happened in operable and non-fatal locations.

Just as with the rest of us smoking and other recreational substances increases the risk. If I played a wind instrument or loved someone who did, I'd be sure to have the great testing available today, and maybe save a life.

Quincy Jones was a friend of a boss, and called me up to say "hi" when he learned he'd survived the thing that killed my Handsome Prince, so I felt compelled to share here.

And rest in peace Clarence Clemons - there is a special place in heaven for those who "make a joyful noise to the Lord" !