Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Thoughts on Bob

What’s your favorite Bob Dylan album? The early Freewheelin’ album is hard to beat and a few months ago I managed to source an original edition of the front cover photo showing Bob and his girlfriend Suze Rotolo walking through the streets of downtown New York. This and Bringing It All Back Home are two early favorites.

Blood on the Tracks is hard to beat and the bootleg album of the Rolling Thunder Revue in 1975 is a favorite. I have recently been listening to Empire Burlesque which I think is a hidden gem and is worth looking at again. The writing’s cool, the melodies are strong and Bobby’s voice is intriguing. And "Tight Connection To My Heart" is right up there.

3 comments:

dave said...

I suggest to have a second listening to "John Wesley Hardin'", a most underrated one. Give a chance to "As I went out one morning" and "Wicked messenger" and you'll see what I mean. I particularly love the sharp, plain arrangement of the whole album.
Cheers.

Gretchen said...

I named my son Dylan. Talk about a lovemark. Bob Dylan represents the power of creativity to me, the undying need to put your shoulder against the wheel and look, feel and sound different to move political agenda and elevate social awareness. And he did/does it so effortlessly -- an understated creative mission politely rolling across his strings. "Where have you been my blind son?...a hard rain's gonna fall." That's a mother of a statement.

Susan P. said...

Here is a nice visual listing. Desire was an album I listened to a lot in the early days of leaving teacher's college and going into schools for practicums. I recall dropping home for lunch occasionally and listening to it then also:

http://www.bobdylan.com/#/albums