Wednesday, August 11, 2010

ANZAC Differences, Commonalities

One hat I wear is ‘Cultural Reporter at Large’ for the excellent Italian newsmagazine L’Espresso. They recently commissioned me to work up a theme for an article on the extreme creativity of New Zealand and Australia versus the rest of the world. It got me pondering on how the DNAs of the two countries essentially differ. Here’s a tennis chart put together for comments. By all means knock it around.

Play nice, we’ll see where it goes.

5 comments: said...

I am from neither, have visited one several times and lived in the other on and off over 2 decades. I smiled as I read some and largely I think you have hit the nail on the head. Can I add a few more
Grounded - Searching
Polite - Easy going
Soothing - Challenging
Curious - Contained
Practical - Pragmatic
Design - Lifestyle
Tramping - Surfing

Anonymous said...

Rainbow Warrior Ady Gil
Hadlee Merv
Waiheke Island Tasmania
Pineapple Lumps Wagon Wheel
Treaty of Waitangi ‘We’re Sorry’
Oscars Ivy Bar
Toroa Salmon
Global warming Water crisis
Basin Reserve Richie Benaud
Winter Olympics Winter Olympics

Anonymous said...

I thought the table was great - until I got to the last row. The last row is both true and horribly sad. We really need change in New Zealand.

Tony said...

OK, I guess you probably expected this one...

Criminals - Pioneers

Thanks for an interesting list

Tony from NZ

Andres said...

Nice... Extending the concept it would be interesting to build the table for some other tandems, such as Chile-Argentina (quite similar to NZ-A), US-Mexico, England-France, China-Japan...