Tyler Brûlé’s Monocle magazine gets more and more interesting. The April edition focuses on the state of retail and talks about what drives retail success in these tough times.
Ten key attributes in the retail experience according to Monocle are:
1. Service minded, smartly dressed, enthusiastic staff
2. Obsessive attention to detail
3. A memorable welcoming scent in the air
4. Good music in the background
5. Flattering lighting
6. Treats with all purchases
7. Impeccable packaging
8. An inviting façade
9. A unique original product mix
10. A passion to constantly innovate
In other words, Mystery, Sensuality and Intimacy.
Jo Malone delivers across all ten of these attributes and to my mind is one of the best retail experiences in the world.
I would add an 11th point to Tyler’s top ten. A hands-on, inspirational and passionate store manager.
I’d apply the same checklist to a great restaurant. And Simon Rogan’s L’enclume in Cartmel fits the bill perfectly.