Tuesday, September 4, 2007

The view from the top

I’m writing this in London, just before Manchester City travel to the Emirates Stadium to play Arsenal on August 25. (A regrettable postscript is that we were robbed 1:0, but that’s another story). I’m writing it now because we are in the unprecedented position of sitting on top of the English Premier League. A 30 year first. I’m also writing it now because I know it won’t last (and it didn't!), so time to “Carpe Diem”.

It’s been three games, three wins, and a successful season already guaranteed since we thrashed the Red Hordes from Salford (Manchester United) last Saturday. We spent the entire first half defending, had one shot on goal, scored and spent the entire second half defending with no need to score a second goal. Magic!

I entered the season with some trepidation, given Man City’s appointment of the world’s most boring manager, Sven-Goran Eriksson. Three games in and it feels more like Sven Genius Eriksson. Sic Transit Gloria Mundi.

Two Brazilians, two Bulgarians, a Swiss, a Croat, a Spaniard, and an Italian who have never played in the Premier League before are leading the charge for us, alongside four home-grown academy players. One of these, Micah Richards, has got to be the best English defender since Bobby Moore. Somehow, Sven (aka “the Genius”), has put these players into a team capable of holding the line; defending and then scoring. The result? We are seven points ahead of the Reds, and their supporters, like my good friend Richard Hytner, have been very quiet this week. In fact, they’ve almost disappeared from sight.

Over the years we’ve been at the top, and much more frequently, we’ve been at the bottom. I have to tell you, it is so much better at the top.


Susan Plunkett said...

Thus passes the glory of the world? Or did you mean, fame is fleeting? :)

I immediately thought of Piotr of course, admonishing many articles back to give Sven a chance to prove himself appropriate. On ya Piotr :)

I am envisioning Kevin running about with the front of his t-shirt pulled over his head at each goal scored and each win!

Gloating over poor Richard Hytner? He may have simply adopted THIS nice latin lingo:

Quando omni flunkus moritatus

"When all else fails, play dead".


Enjoy Kevin.

Piotr Jakubowski said...

I was wondering when you'd admit that Sven isn't really THAT bad. He may have been rubbish on the national level (I'll give you that), but I think he's proven himself so far in the premiership.

Let's see if they can take on Stuart Pearce's bar of 14th last year. They are almost 1/4 of the points there!

Susan - didn't I say so? I'm glad I was taught not to judge a book by its cover, and let someone's performance speak for itself.

Oh yeah, and Dunne is on my fantasy Premiership team with Schmeichel.

David Airey said...

Petrov is looking like a great purchase, and has a sweet left-foot. Nothing like his woeful namesake at Villa.

As a Liverpool fan, I'm currently looking down from the top, and it's a joy to behold. Torres is inspirational and for once we have two capable wingers.

I'm happy for Man City, and was delighted to witness the Manchester derby.

Bye for now, Kevin. Keep up the great writing.

Susan Plunkett said...

Piotr..and didn't I give you your tribute? :)

I've had the 'judgment' argument a 101 times online Piotr and my take on it is simple; we judge all the time on everything we do. It's our preparedness to be incorrect/persuaded differently (open minded) and how we play out judgments that's key.

Kevin Roberts said...

David – Petrov, Elano, Garrido all good. I reckon Michael Johnson is a man to watch for in the future and nice to see that he didn’t end up in your camp! BTW great blog you have there.

Susan Plunkett said...

I agree that David's blog is great. David, I would be interested in any comments you have to make on blog creation when the person has skills that fall away from technology product. For example, if one is a flash developer it is fairly easy to create a lively sisomo style blog that draws people in. However, if your talents are directed away from technology as such and the material product tends to be client 'owned' or directed, I am somewhat at sea as to how one generates a blog presence *that draws peoples interest and retains the same*. The section in asterisks is the vital part. There are three principles that I know draw people in - well, four really - however it's applying the first three to a skill set that tends to only come alive in application that puzzles me.

I am tempted to dialogue Kevin's blog at this point but I shall refrain :)