Monday, August 20, 2007

Gastro Pubs II

One of the most interesting celebrity chefs around is Gordon Ramsay. Following his early days with Marco Pierre White, he has made a name for himself in the UK and now in New York at The London hotel. His restaurant at Claridge’s, in the UK, is not bad. The last time I was there we got chatting to Pierce Brosnan and were ignored by Mick Jagger and his 6-foot something model wife. Gordon has now opened a new gastro pub called “The Narrow” at 44 Narrow Street in London. If you’re in the city, give it a whirl. Have the fish ‘n chips or the pig’s cheeks, which I last had at my old time favorite, The Spotted Pig.

My youngest daughter, Bex, lived for a while in Islington. She’s now back in New Zealand but Islington is the Fulham/Chelsea of the 60’s. My favorite pub there is The Albion on Thornhill Road. It has a great wine list, is incredible value, and includes some terrific Bordeaux secrets twinned with the best Sheperds Pie I’ve had for a long time. And then there’s the boarding school treat of treats, Rhubarb Crumble. But someone needs to persuade them to find some custard to go with it!


Susan956 said...

A year or so ago I caught a few of Ramsey's 'Kitchen Nightmares' shows and they were rather energetic viewing in terms of the genre. I would not like to make a mistake in his kitchen unless I had a cast iron personality. I believe he has two complete kitchens in his home as he can't stand his wife using his utensils etc. :)

Now shepherd's pie I really like and rhubarb..isn't rhubarb coming back into it's own I've noticed..along with parsnip. You mean not even cream served with the crumble? And heaven forfend a commercial custard would be served against one freshly made!

The only celeb I've come face to face with, and that was by pure coincidence in a corridor, was Cate Blanchett and she really is quite lovely - such a photogenic face.

Piotr Jakubowski said...

The Rhubarb crumble sounds phenomenal, and reminds me of the cakes that my grandma makes (Strawberry Rhubarb crumble - just mouthwatering). It is the treat of treats!

These gastronomical posts really make me wish I could whip some food up in the kichen. But my cooking skills are just as good as my singing (read: horrible).

Susan956 said...

Crumble is a pretty simple dish Piotr. Where do we need to send the cookbook? :)