Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Fly Buys

I really enjoy flying – I’d have to say that since I spend so much time in the air! I look on long haul flights as a personal challenge to keep inspired. So here’s what I take on board to keep my spirits up, my mind in gear and my heart warm.

  • My iPod filled with the soundtrack of my life. The lyrics are an inspiration, the sound takes me to all the places I most love.
  • A bunch of my favorite magazines. The current must-reads include: Wallpaper, Architectural Digest, Art Forum, Business Week, Fast Company, Wired, Fortune, Ad Age, Adweek, Campaign, Four Four Two, NZ Rugby World, GQ, Details and Vanity Fair.
  • Two good non-fiction books and two fiction. The business books change from month to month. A sports book is always close to hand, and you can always rely on one of Lee Child’s Jack Reacher stories to stir the spirits. You should get a copy of 'Bad Luck and Trouble' (his latest). Great reads.
  • A sleeping pill as a back-up on the longest flights.
  • A load of work emails that have been sorted and are ready to be dealt with.
Put that lot together, and time and the plane both fly.


Susan956 said...

How does one turn:

F E A R into your L O V E

how do I reshuffle my letters associated with flying to yours?

Your magazine selection hmmmm...well (I have to admit a couple I don;t know..but..in the main...), very apropos for what you do and of course some have aesthetic advertising and also network interest...but...I always like a browse through "The Land" here in Oz (is there an NZ version?). The Land gives one a broad brush view of current realities for the rural community AND dare I say is often informative of the [high] education and communication literacies of a group of people traditionally thought of as a little 'slow'. But reading The Land I think important to balancing out the largely citycentric focus our society has.

I must admit I do enjoy a good architectural magazine or digest if for no other reason than the photography. But I am fascinated with shape and form.

I also enjoy being led to sites that unveil different ideas or ways of representing a concept e.g.

Whatever happened to Punch? As a girl, coming across Punch in a waiting room was always a sign that the person one was about to see held strong socio-economic status in the community. Seeing National Geographic usually meant the appointment was serious (hears dentist drill in background).

Lord it's cold here this morning. What magazine are you willing to rip the pages from in order to cover me so I can get warm? :-)

BELOT (JP Bastiaans) said...

I was glad you didn`t mention your laptop. I hate sitting near laptop and/or mobile workaholic freaks at the lounge or on the plane. Common poor-minded specimens addicted to their electronic devices. "This is your captain speaking, the weather on this flight will be splendid, enjoy your flight, enjoy your meal, enjoy your book, enjoy a nice conversation with your party.. enjoy LIFE".

Susan956 said...

For those interested in some new and intriguing versions of music..try this Mashup of the Beatles..said to have 40 songs/tunes combined:

Susan956 said...

belot..what a challenge you threw out with your "common" comment! :) To borrow and paraphrase...I like digging in the dirt..

So, we have a scene...airport lounge..and a camera set up to flick and dodge about the people sitting there..sometimes coming in to settle right in front of faces, looking in at expressions and what is being done.

Young man opens laptop after his mobile was pinged by his workplace server. He needs to attend because that's a workplace obligation...

(Audience feels a certain justification exists in some cases)

Zoom out and up and over.. Jenny, sitting on a plush chair mobile against ear. Damn she looks like she can't let go of the thing. The voice over toggles between spurious gossip about fashion and listening to reports of her mother's cancer treatment. We're left unsure as to what Jenny is really doing on her mobile.

(Questions raised in audience minds. A little uncertainty can raise concentration)

Camera zips along the carpet and up the leg of a suit trouser leg and peeps over the side of THIS laptop. Person is furiously swapping between pages but you hear their heartbeat. The camera shakes its tail from the perspiration fallout exuding from the person's hands. You see text appearing on the screen "Ok, yes, I'll take something to help me relax. I hope flight is on time!"

(Ahh..someone afraid of flying?)

Camera spots someone reading near a window and sashays slowly over..giving impression THIS was the sort of person they had been looking for...
This person is reading "Gourmet Traveller"
Camera eye blink..
Person is reading an Archie Comic
Say what.. blink..shake of head
They're reading a cheap gossip mag

(Impressions and a challenge to how we perceive/what we choose to perceive)

"This is your airline speaking, the weather on this flight will be splendid. You have no need to be afraid. Your workplace server will be fine. Your mother will be able to leave hospital in time for your return. Please, enjoy our onboard magazines. For the next little while let us take over".

Shoulders relax in lounge, laptops close, moist eyes at the mobile smile and all heads turn towards the plane seen outside the large glass windows.


By the way, people on mobiles and/or bluetooth can drive me nuts also. I wonder why someone needs to madly chat next to me while holding nothing in their hands and thinks their loud conversation what I want to have in my own space. :-)

At the same time presumptions can remove empathy and empathy makes for potentially evocative and connected advertising. .

BELOT (JP Bastiaans) said...

susan: nice I could create some controversy in this blog.

Point isn`t the content but the use. I associate the common use of the laptop and/or mobile as a social phenomenon that didn`t exist in the eighties: the vector has gone different directions, creating groups of users, most of them addicted to these devices, creating banal situations as those that drive you nuts, or the typical and most interesting "Hi,it`s me, what you`r doing.."-calls.

Anyway, it could also be my personal problem, I can`t stand smokers and I cant`s stand laptopusers or workingplacemobileusers at my side.

Laptops and Mobiles are becoming natural prolongations of our bodies anticipating the birth of the future CIBERMAN with a monitor projecting phalanges and a phone in his molar..Hmmm,what`s next?


Susan956 said...

belot.. I welcome the discourse..I was surprised to be honest that people were not talking to each other as such here. Glad to see it happen :)

I welcome you coming back to the table on the issue and you opening up the topic again for me to [re]consider.

My emotional response was of course to the word 'common' and that says more about me than about you I believe. Anyone who knows me really really well would know why that tweaked me.. *grin*

I DO know what you mean. You're talking about (my word coming up) 'babble'. I deplore being in a restaurant and hearing someone talking loudly on their mobile. But I also deplore people living next door who make their music MY music. I think there are issues here of space intrusion and many mob owners have no real clue about how intrusive they are.

I was in a store recently and was beside a woman looking at something when all of a sudden she burst into loud conversation (and I do mean loud). I jumped and then wondered if she was commenting to me and it took a moment for me to realise she had an ear piece.

Now, when did society start believing that one can disrupt social spaces all the time because of one's own interests. I think it was Kevin (??) who in former writing critiqued the 'me' generation.

What *I* am fascinated with is people being so afraid of *not* picking up a call. I've seen people so wired because they are in an important situation yet realise their mobile is ringing and being pulled between the two (and knowing that the mob call may just be trivial).

It's the sense of frantic and desire to be available and to 'receive' that draws my interest. It's almost like many have stepped out of emotional risk and connectivity and have replaced this with staccato interactions that lead them to feel intimacy (when in fact it's only quasi intimacy at best). Putting it more simply its quantity and being busy rather than quality and accepting being alone and within one's own skin at times.

So, the "hi it's me whatrudoin calls" interests me in terms of the needs the person doing this is wanting to be met. I think this important to consider and important for advertisers for various reasons.

I have spent many years in a rural setting and chose a sea change. I find a relative of mine constantly critical of the way I will turn to someone here in the city and just chat or open a conversation. I am repeatedly advised people do not want such connections.

My 'take' is that this view is based on a premise and I'm not convinced as yet the premise holds.

In my life Belot the computer (and at the moment I don't have a laptop..gasp!! :) ) is a servant of mine and not the other way round.

I cannot deny I don't love..L O V E
the array of interactions I may have by way of the internet. You and I are talking for example in two different countries and yet are able to connect! Yehah!

The computer for me is a mechanism for creative thought and serves this end. I'm not here mindlessly and know when I'm here seeking company (self awareness).

I think your commentary was perhaps about people serving the machine or being blended with the same? In the broader sense I don't disagree with you.

Say, what are you reading at the moment..? How is it is sunny Spain..what is the Spanish word for Geitgeist? *grin*

CONSUL said...

Susan, actually, no great difference in views, resumed, it`s all about personal space- invasion, disruption, intrusion, intromission, interference .., where are the limits??

But it`s also about the right of using new technologies: commercial interests have brought all kind of advanced technologies too close to everyone. Everything is available, everything is normal, nothing surprises us anymore, will this bring us towards a globalized and amorphous next generation??

People should learn to respect and use new technologies, considering these are changing habits and behaviours and can be the cause of nuisance, annoyance and unpleasantness in their community.

Now about Kevin`s Blog: yes, I`m missing some more controversy, some more expositions of opposed opinions, even some interventions from Kevin as a moderator. Susan, you`v posted interesting, well written and argumented commentaries to several titles, hope you will continue to do so, which will enrich this Blog.

What I`m reading now? This should interest you, I think your from Australia? As a good Dutchman I`m most interested in the Dutch Golden Age. One of the highlights of our history was the VOC, the dutch East India Company (Vereenigde Oostindische Compagnie).
The book I`m reading is: “Abel Tasman`s Journal” (Vibeke Roeper & Diederick Wildeman) an interesting report about the “Search for the unknown Southland”, documentated from the National Archives of The Hague and relating the expeditions of the dutch seafarer, explorant and merchant Abel Tasman. He was the first european to reach Tasmania (now you know where the name comes from..), New Zealand and the Fiji islands, sailing from Batavia where the headquarters of the VOC were located. He mapped large parts of Australia.

I have no idea what “geitgeist” means. Sounds like a jewish expression. If it comes from the dutch language it could mean the Spirit of the Goat. If it comes from “Zeitgeist”we are talking Hegel and the “genius seculi”?

It´s warm and sultry here in Spain...

Susan956 said...


Thank you for the gracious compliment.

Yes, I'm Australian. I have to admit I've not studied the history of my country since school - although I'm obviously aware of the contemporary issues to do with that history. A former student of mine wrote a wonderful historical style diary based on the writings of an explorer and that opened my mind up to issues of historical narrative. Her treatment sent a very powerful message about environmental degradation and yet was oh so subtle. Often works in this genre can become a little twee or overdone. Subtle can have a much greater punch. Depends on the topic and the intent.

In terms of this blog - and with NO disrespect intended towards Kevin or those who may moderate the site or set it up - I don't think this is the best platform for an interactive blog. The blog format lends to a primary article and minimal engagement and certainly little engagement between audience. I think Kevin may move away from this format in the future if vital interactivity is what he seeks. I respect the fact time will be an issue for him and I consider he does very well writing up an article per day against that.

I've been around net forums a LONG time and used academic platforms, lifestyle and special interest schemas and you soon see what works best and what doesn't. Some forums allow toooooo much interaction and in the main that tends to forecast the eventual death knell of the site. That said, sometimes we should not weep when sites do fold down - simply because items can serve a purpose and then no longer serve.

Certainly KRConnect has got me thinking a little about who I would want on a creative team. As you may have observed, I will tend to comment on perspective. For example, Jack's book re online seems to be coming in on a quasi e-commerce basis. NOTHING wrong with that. At the same time I'm not sure this serves if (IF) you want to really understand people's emotions and what kick starts them or makes them retreat. It may and it may not (I don't know enough). Certainly it is generally people already familiar with the online environment who will engage with such materials and that already culls a large chunk of the consumer audience (if that is the group you're seeking information about).

However, I enjoy drawing people in who have come from differing backgrounds because they will naturally see elements others will not. I would have a creative minded archaeologist on some teams I created for example (and I sat for more than a year on an archaeology forum observing ways of being, knowing and expression)

I should say Belot, in self critique, my posts are generally too long for this format. I should pare them down but..what the heck :)

Re your comments on technology.. Are people seeking an external agent to give them a sense of achievement, purpose and 'ok-ness'. I am reminded of that old title "The medium is the massage".

These are discussion topics unto themselves.

As an exercise, what do you consider to be the baseline purpose of KRConnect?

Kempton said...

On my last flights, I ended up doing a bit of blogging for work up in the sky.

But the most enjoyable thing for me to do is actually talking to the flight attendants. This is a habit I learned from Virgin's Richard Branson. May be I am secretly planning to pick up some skills to consult for an airline one day. (big smile) But in the mean time, I have learned a lot from talking to the flight attendants and time goes by faster this way.

By the way, WestJet in Canada is my Lovemark. WestJet is not perfect but I love it (plus it is based in Calgary, my city). Now, if I were to be stranded on an island, and the only flight out is by Air Canada, I think I would rather be stranded than flying Air Canada. Sorry Air Canada, you have to do a lot to gain me back as a willing customer. I heart WestJet.

Susan956 said...

kempton..blogging for work?

Interesting...there *does* seem to be a merging of online terms these days. In terms of blogging for 'work' I have led teaching learning forums where interactivity was very high. I have engaged in blogs/forums for research and I have taken other springboard/creative style roles, however, in the main I have thought of "forums" (as in philosophical debate et al - albeit a topic may have been posed). KR is a "blog" in the sense of the true meaning of the term (weblog) as opposed to forum although Belot and I are straining the current envelope and pushing for a discourse toga or two *grin*

Anyhoo.. I'm curious about "blogging for work" and how you may be using blogs in the commercial or workplace sense. Care to expand?

Kempton said...

Hello Susan,

Thanks for your interest in my comment. In fact, feel free to check out my blog and I would love to see your feedback in my blog too. You ask good questions. Thanks.

Anyway, let me tell you the short version of my "blogging for work" story. Trust me, I can have a much longer version. (smile)

So CBC Dragons' Den (a show I love on the Canadian Boardcasting Corporation (CBC)), hired and flew me (a super-fan of the show) out to Toronto to blog about the show's production and creation from the inside. I think this is ground breaking stuff as I were given pretty much full access to the set and people and full and complete editor control to go where I want and write what I wish, as long as I write extensively which I did. (Note: I need full and complete editor control to be independent. I have no interest in writing pure propaganda pieces that only say good and approved things. But I love the show so much that I won't do something deliberately to hurt the show. CBC Dragons' Den is my Lovemark!!!)

For those that are interested in my reporting venture inside the CBC Dragons' Den site, feel free to check out my blog. It flows better and is more interesting if you read chronologically from the first post. I promise there are surprised turns and twists,


Now, right after my trip to Toronto, I went to Banff, Alberta, Canada to blog/report (for work again) on nextMEDIA and Banff World TV Festival for my own blog http://kempton.ideasRevolution.com as accredited press.

I've learned so much from the two, highly recommended. nextMEDIA focused on digital and new media stuff. For example, Stacey Seltzer from Joost.com was there. (just goolge Joost for info) And Greg Goodfried, co-creator and executive producer of LonelyGirl15 was there. (just google Lonely Girl 15) For Banff World TV Festival, it is a TV business gathering where executives from BBC, NBC, PBS, NHK, ZDF, etc. all gathering to talk business.

Also TV and documentary creative people also attended Banff to give their master classes to share their insight. Last year I learned from Oscar-winning director and writer Paul Haggis (Crash). And this year, we have the likes of Carol Mendelsohn (Executive Producer and show runner of the CSI Franchises) came to give a great master class that I love and was deeply touched. And Antony Thomas (documentary producer and director of "The Tank Man") also gave an insightful and touching master class. Antony has promised to try to help me on my own documentary. So the festivals were great, highly recommended.

For those that care, my banff coverage (with many videos) including the above mentioned master classes (for this year) can be found at,

So, yes, I guess, my "blogging for work" has made me a reporter at the same time with my role as a management and strategy consultant, a documentary filmmaker, etc. When I tell people I have a "portfolio career", I was quite serious and wasn't kidding. (big smile)

Susan (and Kevin), I hope I haven't bored you and other readers too badly. My apologies.

Best Regards,

Susan956 said...


Absolutely NO need to apologise. I was absorbed and engaged by your post.

You have a similar job to the one I am seeking so I found it encouraging to hear what you are doing and your standpoint on relative independence.

As you may tell from some of my posts, I move around and spend time with many fields of expertise and I enjoy that greatly. I enjoy looking at an issue from 360 degrees and then bisecting the object and looking again. I have found that interacting with people from various knowledge backgrounds have aided this.

I was drawn to KRConnect after reading the Saatchi website. I had had some experience a few years ago with a marketing manager of a large corporation and observed how clone like the expressions, thoughts, output was. When I looked at parallel sites they were really saying the same thing. I tend to be a reasonably original thinker and was put off by immediate resistance to questions and ideas that fell out of their square. I felt Saatchi were different (or their website indicated the difference).

I'm NOT agin crediting successful people and intellectual proficiency and will do that openly, however, at the same time not ALL ground breaking ideas come from a clutch of network gurus - certainly 'Kenny' et al on the Australian film scene are proof of that.

However, how does one climb into positions one seeks - particularly where you don't come from the 'expected background' - unless you have either mentoring OR the stars are in alignment and you happen to be on the right corner of the right street on just the right day. :)

Your post encouraged me and I'm grateful for that.

Oh..and..yes..I can see you DO 'blog for work'.